Sustainable Fashion Certification


Sustainable Fashion Certification | chic edition

Global Organic Textile Standard(GOTS)

GOTS is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textiles in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer. This covers production, processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, exportation, importation and distribution of all natural fibres.


There are two label-grades.

“organic” or “organic ‑ in conversion”

95% or more of the fibres must be of certified organic (or in conversion – at least 12 months under organic management and is under the supervision of a certification body) origin. The remaining balance up to 5% may be made of non-organic fibres including defined regenerated and synthetic fibres. Blending (= mixing the same fibre in organic and conventional quality in one product) is not permitted.

“made with x % organic materials” or ” made with x % organic ‑ in conversion materials”

70% – 95% or more of the fibres must be of certified organic (or in conversion) origin. The remaining balance up to 30% may be made of non-organic fibres. Regenerated and synthetic fibres are limited to 10% (resp. 25% for socks, leggings and sportswear). Again blending is not permitted.


Oko-Tex is to certify textile products produced environmentally friendly and harmless to health. (© Oeko-Tex)

Sustainable Fashion Certification | chic edition

Oko-TexR Standard100 is a globally uniform testing and certification system for textile raw materials, intermediate and end products at all stages of production.

The tests for harmful substances comprise substances which are prohibited or regulated by law, chemicals which are known to be harmful to health, and parameters which are included as a precautionary measure to safeguard health.

Manufacturers are entitled to mark successfully tested products or article groups with the Oko-Tex® label. A certificate which is issued applies for one year and can be renewed as often as required.

Sustainable Fashion Certification | chic edition

Oko-Tex® Standard1000, in contrast with product-related Oko-Tex® Standard 100, is a testing, auditing and certification system for environmentally-friendly production sites throughout the textile processing chain.

  • use of environmentally-damaging auxiliaries and dyestuffs prohibited
  • compliance with standard values for waste water and exhaust air treatment
  • optimisation of energy consumption
  • avoidance of noise and dust pollution
  • defined measures to ensure safety at the workplace
  • use of child labour prohibited
  • introduction of basic elements of an environmental management system

To qualify for certification according to the Oko-Tex® Standard 1000, companies must meet stipulated criteria in terms of their environmentally-friendly manufacturing processes and provide evidence that at least 30% of total production is already certified under Oko-Tex® Standard 100.

Sustainable Fashion Certification | chic edition

Oko-Tex® 100plus provides textile and clothing manufacturers with the opportunity to highlight the human-ecological optimisation of their products as well as their efforts in production ecology to consumers.

Companies can receive this award if their manufactured products have been successfully certified according to Öko-Tex® Standard 100 and they are also able to provide evidence that the entire production chain – in other words, all production sites involved in manufacturing a product – seamlessly comply with the requirements of the Öko-Tex® Standard 1000.

Sustainable Fashion Certification | chic edition


The SA8000 is an international standard for improving working conditions. Based on the principles of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Conventions on the Rights of the Child, and various International Labor Organizations (ILO) conventions, it is a tool to help apply these norms to practical work-life situations.

Social Accountability International)

Accreditation services of Social Accountability International (SAI) for SA8000 are managed by Social Accountability Accreditation Services (SAAS). As an independent decision-maker, SAAS accredits and monitors firms as certifiers of compliance with social standards.

Assessment of compliance to the SA8000 Standard and the issuance of SA8000 certifications is available only through independent Certification Body accredited by Social Accountability Accreditation Services (SAAS). Certified workplaces are required to make public their certification and can display their certificate in a store or a factory, in company advertising, and on company stationary.

Every facility seeking certification to SA8000 must be audited to assess practice on a wide range of issues: child labor, health & safety, freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining, discrimination, disciplinary practices, working hours and compensation.